When Can You Apply for Your Driving Test?
- To apply for a driving test in Ireland, you must be at least 17 years old and have held a valid learner permit issued by the National Driver License Service (NDLS) for a minimum of 6 months.
- To obtain a learner permit, you must first pass the Theory test.
- Only after passing the theory test you may then proceed to complete your mandatory eye test. This certificate will accompany your application form and fee’s at the NDLS centre when applying for the learner permit.
The Learner Permit
- You can apply for your learner permit online easily at https://www.ndls.ie/
- With a learner permit, you can legally drive with a fully qualified driver who has held their full license for a minimum of two or more years.
EDT Driving Lessons
- The RSA requires every new driver to complete 12 mandatory EDT Driving Lessons before taking the driving test with the exception of Reduced EDT which is for foreign license holders. They may complete only 6 EDT lessons.
- Your registered ADI will accompany you throughout the course of your lessons offering tuition to prepare you for the test.
The Driving Test
- After 6 months have passed and only when both you and your instructor feel you are ready for the driving test, you can apply.
- The RSA will examine and assess your driving skills and determine whether you are fit for the roads.
Booking Your Driving Test
- To book your driving test, you must:
- Hold a valid learner permit for a minimum of 6 months.
- Complete 12 EDT lessons with an ADI.
- Be over 17 years old.
- It is recommended that your ADI should supervise additional hours of practice before the driving test.
- ADIs may suggest ways to improve your driving before the final test.
During the Driving Test
- The driving test lasts 45 minutes and involves several elements, including but not limited to:
- Understanding traffic signs and Rules Of The Road Theory.
- Technical Vehicle Checks.
- Identifying and navigating junctions correctly.
- Managing speed and displaying your competence.
- Reacting to real life hazards.
- After the test, the RSA examiner will inform you of the result.
- If you pass, you will be able to apply for your new full licence again at the NDLS centre.